gvangraaf

Maximum HSA contribution.

My wife, age 66, had high deductible health care coverage for the first 8 months of 2017, Medicare for the final 4 months.  Turbotax tells me that her maximum HSA contribution limit is $3,600.  My calculation is $2,933.  How do you get $3,600?  Thank you.

DianeW

Maximum HSA contribution.

Let's see if we can make sense of the allowable contribution and deduction amount. As you can see below I get the same amount you do for an 8/12 month proration.

You must pro-rate your contribution based on the number of months during which you were HSA-eligible on the first day of the month. 

Example: You enroll in Medicare Part A (a disqualifying event) effective Oct. 1, 2017. You were covered on a self-only contract during the first 10 months of the year. Your maximum contribution for 2017 is 8/12 of $4,400, or $2,933.  

When I select January - August as HDHP, then Medicare or None for the last four months I get the correct amount. This is based on a "Self Only" plan as you can see in the image attached (click to enlarge and view for assistance).

DianeW

Maximum HSA contribution.