Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VManion

Maryland Home Bakery question

Hi, I am confused about the IRS exclusive use section regarding home business. I run a gluten free cottage kitchen bakery from my home. Can I deduct utilities and part of my mortgage? I have space dedicated to storage also. I did see that bakeries fall under NAICS code 311811 but wasn't sure if home bakeries could use the same deductions. Thank you!! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Maryland Home Bakery question

Yes, if you have space dedicated to your bakery, that you do not use for anything else, then this would qualify as exclusive use and you would be able to take the deduction.  You would also then be able to deduct part of your utilities and mortgage interest. 

You cannot deduct your mortgage.  However, when doing the home office/business use of property deduction, you will be able to depreciate that part of your home as part of the deduction.  There are 2 methods to take a deduction for your business use of home.  One is the simplified method which is $5 per square foot that you use for business.  The other is actual expenses.  This is where you would enter the value of your home and how much you pay for homeowners insurance and other expenses.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies