turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JB9
Level 2

Many non-cash items to one organization > $500 on same date

Hello,

I donated about 115+ items to a qualified charity totaling more than $500.  The instructions say to give date, purchase price for any item over $500, and indicate I should have an appraisal or letter.  All items were well under $50 each if that, so I don't think I should have to fill this in.  It looks like Turbo Tax is forcing me into it. So first, do I really need to do this? Second, if so, I suppose I just put various for acquired date, and give a number that is reasonable, probably about 10x what I'm deducting. (For example a new pair of pants was probably $50 and I'm claiming $5.00) Though this seems pretty ridiculous to do. I can understand if it's a single item....

I saw a post similar to this from 2019, but I didn't think the answer addressed the question of a single item >500 vs. many items totaling over >500 

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You don't need an appraisal, but it would be a good idea to keep better records.

Deductions Over $500 but Not Over $5,000

If you claim a deduction over $500 but not over $5,000 for a noncash charitable contribution, you must complete Form 8283 and have the Contemporaneous written acknowledgment (defined earlier). Your completed Form 8283 must include:

• Your name and taxpayer identification number,
  • The name and address of the qualified organization,
  • The date of the charitable contribution, and

The following information about the contributed property:

• A description of the property in sufficient detail under the circumstances (taking into account the value of the property) for a person not generally familiar with the type of property to understand that the description is of the contributed property;
  • The fair market value of the property on the contribution date and the method used in figuring the fair market value;

In the case of real or tangible property, its condition;

In the case of tangible personal property, whether the donee has certified it for a use related to the purpose or function constituting the donee’s basis for exemption under Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code or, in the case of a governmental unit, an exclusively public purpose;

• In the case of securities, the name of the issuer, the type of securities, and whether they were publicly traded as of the date of the contribution;
  • How you got the property, for example, by purchase, gift, bequest, inheritance, or exchange;
  • The approximate date you got the property or, if created, produced, or manufactured by or for you, the approximate date the property was substantially completed; and
  • The cost or other basis, and any adjustments to the basis, of property held less than 12 months and, if available, the cost or other basis of property held 12 months or more. This requirement, however, doesn't apply to publicly traded securities.
JB9
Level 2

Thanks for the reply--but the question remains. I know I don't need an appraisal, but do I still need to fill in the columns, even though no one item is over $500?

As for records, well, you may be right. I don't keep every receipt for every item of clothing, bed linens, pocket book, umbrella, hair dryer, hardback book, etc. that I ever purchased just in case I need it for donations! It's not in my DNA!! I doubt that most people do, or they'd be drowning in receipts. In fact, most financial guidelines I've seen say you don't need to keep receipts past 7 years. That said, I *do* have very accurate records of what the item donated is, and what the value of each item 😉  

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to itemize every item, but you can group like items. Bedding, small appliances, clothing are some categories.

I reported to you exactly what the IRS criteria are. 

JB9
Level 2

Hello, and thanks again for the reply.

I do understand the criteria and appreciate your pasting them. Based on your replies, I can see that my objection is with how Turbo Tax is forcing me to report something I shouldn't have to report. However, you gave me a good solution. I broke that particular donation down into multiple entries for the same date, such that no one entry exceeds $500, and I grouped them into categories, such as clothing, linens, and misc household. That seems to have worked.

JB

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies