turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brooksta
Returning Member

M1NR form

When using Minn M1NR it reduces your total income to $0 due to the new $100000 or less income deduction for social security paid to the fed. Since social security income is not counted for non residents if they only have rental income. If the rental income is less than the social security taxes you paid on your 1040 you end up with no income or tax. I believe this is an error since I cannot imagine Minn is not going to tax my rental income. Does anyone know anything about this and how can i get Turbo Tax to investigate since i believe this is an error in the software because it allows you to only enter rental income as being applied to your taxes but the program automatically enters the SS income during the calculation even though you do not have to declare it according to Minn. This zeros out your income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

M1NR form

Your social security is included in your gross income even if it is not taxable.   Did you enter your social security and rental income in the federal section?   If so, TurboTax carried those amounts over to the state return(s).      How MN taxes nonresident income.   Click on that link; then view your M1 tax form.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
brooksta
Returning Member

M1NR form

Hi

Thanks for answer however the problem is that Turbo Tax does not carry over the SS tax to 8a column B (Minn Portion) on M1NR. This ends up with 0.00 on column 28 leaving a 0.00 on line 30 and zero taxes on line 32. If I override Turbo Tax and add the SS tax to line 8a column B ( Minn portion) then I get some tax for my rental income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies