Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jad3631

Long term care premiums are duplicated in self-emply expenses, and medical itemized deductions. Why doesnt TT adj total med exp per self-emply info? Total med exp=error.

TT gave me too much medical exp in itemized deductions. Took hours to track down. TT asks for total LTC prems in both sch C and in med itemized deductions.  Misleading. Duplicates dollars.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Long term care premiums are duplicated in self-emply expenses, and medical itemized deductions. Why doesnt TT adj total med exp per self-emply info? Total med exp=error.

Yes.  Only enter anything in only 1 place.  If your health ins exceeds your net self-employment income it gets split. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 17 (to 1040 line 10) and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

jad3631

Hi VolvoGirl -  Thanks for your response.  However, I think you missed the fine points of my post.  First, it is not health insurance, it is Long Term care insurance. Secondly,  In the Schd C section, it asks for long term care premiums. I enter them.  Then in itemized deductions is specifically says "enter gross long term care premiums".  This created a duplicate in the calculation.  So, I think the resolution would be for TT to do the calculation itself.  If there is the same amount in both places, then dont add it twice to total medical expenses.    Short of that, they should at least change the instructions to enter "net" LTC prems, not "gross".   ie, LTC prems less whatever TT calculated as the amount deducted from income in Schd C.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies