Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Letter from irs

When I did my taxes originally my job didn’t have my child down as a dependent I fixed it but just thought I’ll get the child tax credit next year but then I got a letter stating they were unable to correct my account with the information that was provided for my amended return. Schedule 8812, credits for qualifying children and other dependents to support the changes you’ve made was missing please summit another form 1040-x with a completed schedule 8812 I have no idea what any of this means can someone help me please this is freaking me out 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Gabriella_EA
Employee Tax Expert

Letter from irs

If you received a letter from the IRS, don't worry. It should contain clear instructions on how and when to respond to resolve your issue. You may want to go back and read it again before taking action, but it sounds like you filed an amended return to include a dependent for the child tax credit or credit for other dependents, but the IRS is stating they didn't receive a full copy of the amended return, so they can't process it yet. If you amended with TurboTax and properly filled out the dependent information, Schedule 8812 should have e-filed with your amended return. However, if you amended and mailed in the return, is it possible you mailed in just the Form 1040-X and left out the additional forms and schedules? When you amend a return in TurboTax that you have to print and mail, it prints out an instruction page and all the forms you need to mail in. If you did amend in TurboTax, but you printed and mailed the return, I suggest you go back into your account and re-print the amended return, double check that the Schedule 8812 is part of the return, and then mail it in, provided that does match the instructions the IRS letter has given you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Letter from irs

The thing is I haven’t done an amendment I accepted what I got and left it Alone I did however let my job know that I needed to fix my paper work to add my daughter that all I did 

Gabriella_EA
Employee Tax Expert

Letter from irs

In the top right-hand corner of the notice, do you see the notice type? (Typically it starts with CP, but depending on the type of notice, it may not). Once you find the type of notice, you'll likely find it helpful to look up that notice at irs.gov.

Letter from irs

No I don’t see anything like it has BODC: WI 

Gabriella_EA
Employee Tax Expert

Letter from irs

What about LTR and then a string of numbers/letters?

Letter from irs

LTR 178C

Gabriella_EA
Employee Tax Expert

Letter from irs

Thank you. Can you provide more information on what you did when you said "When I did my taxes originally my job didn’t have my child down as a dependent I fixed it but just thought I’ll get the child tax credit next year." You said you don't believe you've filed an amended return with the IRS?

Letter from irs

I told my job that they didn’t have my child down as a dependent and they had me fill out a new w2 form ( I think that’s what it was) to add my child 

Letter from irs

@Kay1216 wrote:

I told my job that they didn’t have my child down as a dependent and they had me fill out a new w2 form ( I think that’s what it was) to add my child 

You need to complete a new W-4 and give it to your employer.

Go to this TurboTax website for completing a W-4 - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

Gabriella_EA
Employee Tax Expert

Letter from irs

Thanks for explaining. It sounds like your job had you fill out a new W-4. This is not considered an amended return.

As far as your IRS letter goes, these links may be helpful to you:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies