Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 IDC (Intangible Drilling Costs) should be Active Income, not Passive

I am a General Partner with material participation in an oil & gas LP with IDC (Intangible Drilling Costs) losses.  I entered this info in the K-1 section in TT, but TT does not ask if I materially participate.  It classifies the IDC loss as a Passive Income loss.  I believe this is incorrect and it should an Active Income loss - and therefore should reduce this years tax due on other Active Income (such as W2 income).  Any idea how to make this IDC loss Active Income?  It's reported on the K-1 in Box 14 as a Self-Employment loss, so I think it should appear as such in TT.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Make sure you choose the correct K-1 form and entered in the correct info and the return will be filled in properly ...

1.jpg3a.jpg4 .jpg

Thanks for your reply.  Yes that's exactly how I filled it in.  The Box 14 Self Employment is a large loss, so I entered a negative number.  I think it should reduce my AGI, but it doesn't.

I’m in the same boat. Is there any update on this one? 

Well I understand it now.  In my case, the K-1 Box 1 was blank, but I had to select it anyway in TT and then just leave it blank - then  you can say No to materially participate and TT then asks if it's an O&G company, to which you reply Yes.  That makes it NonPassive income/Loss.  You then enter the IDC loss when prompted and any other expenses/losses.  Those losses reduce your ordinary taxable income.

Thank you for this update! Could you please also confirm that you still qualify for this NonPassive income/Loss whether you are a general partner or limited partner in the K1, correct? 

No, only General Partner.   Limited Partner is Passive, even for O&G companies.

dyu626

Thank you! That is a huge help! Now I just need to find a reputable oil and gas investment to fund as a GP within the next few weeks! Let me know if you have any recommendations/referrals!

Currently, I only know of King Operating in Dallas Texas that I just found from their youtube webinars that I thought was nicely done. 

Reach out to Prudent Resources LLC

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies