Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

J1 Work and Travel

Hi, I was J1 Work and Travel program student in 2016, that was my first time in US, i have worked for 2 employers in different states, and have paid federal, state, fica and medicare taxex. Do turbotax provide such kind of refunds?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

J1 Work and Travel

you are a nonresident alien if you were on J1 for less than 2 calendar years. You would need to file form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ plus form 8843. These are not supported by Turbotax.
chambrlnp

J1 Work and Travel

To get a refund of your federal income taxes withheld, assuming you are entitled to one, you have to file a federal income tax return for a non-resident alien, form 1040NR.
To get a refund of state income taxes withheld, assuming you are entitled to one, you have to file a state income tax return for that state.  File as a nonresident.
To get a refund of the FICA and Medicare taxes withheld by anemployer, the first move is to ask for a refund from that employer, on the grounds that the employer should never have withheld those taxes in the first place because you had a J-1.  See IRS Publication 519, section "Social security and medicare taxes", subsection "Students and Exchange visitors."

J1 Work and Travel

if the state return is a nonresident return depends on the state. a nonresident alien for federal purposes is not automatically a nonresident for state purposes
chambrlnp

J1 Work and Travel

True, it's most likely the questioner is a nonresident, but could be a resident, especially if in one state for more than 180 days.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies