Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

ITIN REJECTED / J2 Visa / CHILD AGE 7 / PRIMARY HOLDER J1 VISA

@sundargba  also note that  for issuance of ITIN,  the easiest way is to file the application along with the return and show that you need this for filing only by including the person/dependent on the return.   In such a case , the ITIN is issued retroactively for the year in question.

If on the other hand , you file the  W-7 application separately ( either before or after the return is filed  ) it stands on its own merit.   Somehow you have to show that you are going to use  the ITIN for filing a return.

In your case since it has been refused once, pay attention to the reason and correct that first  ( curative action )

Since you have already filed 2023 return ( and have been accepted for processing ) , I would consider visiting the local IRS office along with the  rejection letter and seek help.  They are usually pretty good  at helping  ----- you may have to wait till after April 15th. though.

That is my take.

Good Luck and  Namaste

pk

I visited the IRS office during the 3rd week of March and re-submitted the W-7 form along with a copy of the 1040 Form.

Additionally, I submitted Form 4868 for an extension yesterday, which has been approved.

Am I allowed to submit an amended return if my ITIN is approved by any chance till 15th Oct?

It's truly a mystery why the ITIN has been rejected four times (three times in 2023 and once in 2024), and each time, the rejection letter contains the same standard reasons.

Thanks for your answer

I submitted Form 4868 for an extension, and it's been approved. I hope this will provide support until October 15th to file an amended tax return if my ITIN gets approved by any chance which allows to get child tax benefits

Can anyone clarify whether when applying for an ITIN with Form W-7 for my child, I have to consider the Child Tax Credit of dollar 2,000 or the Credit for Other Dependents of Dollar 500 per child?

Every time I apply for an ITIN, I have been claiming the Child Tax Credit of dollar 2,000 per child on my 1040 form. I am concerned this might be a mistake given our visa category.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You would use the Other Dependent Credit.  In order to claim the CTC, your child must have a SSN valid for employment.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies