Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dswiss4

Itemizing on ny state eeventhough i took the standard deduction federal

itemizing on ny state eventhough i took the standard deduction federal
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do you have a question?

You have to enter your itemized deductions in the federal section of TurboTax, even if you do not have enough to itemize on the federal tax return. The deductions that you enter in the federal section will flow to the New York state tax return.

dswiss4

I did enter all my itemized deductions on the federal return and it did not flow through to the state. The state return showed a standard deduction, even though I clearly had enough to exceed the standard deduction.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Are you sure you had enough New York itemized deductions to exceed the standard deduction?

• For New York, medical expenses are reduced by 10% of AGI (not 7.5%).
  • State and local income tax or sales tax is not deductible at all on the New York return.
  • If your federal AGI (Form IT-201 line 19) is more than $187,900 or your New York AGI (IT-201 line 33) is more than $100,000 your New York itemized deductions are reduced.

Is your filing status married filing separately, and your spouse took the standard deduction?

dswiss4

I need to check the reductions, but the itemized deductions were over $30k for property taxes and charity

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The way to figure out what's going on is to look at Form IT-196 to see the calculation of the New York itemized deductions. But the tag below your question indicates that you are using TurboTax Online. In TurboTax Online there's no way to see a form that is not included in your tax return, and IT-196 would not be included if you are getting the standard deduction. You might want to work through Form IT-196 by hand and see what the result is. If you do that, look at your actual tax returns in TurboTax and use only information from there, and follow the IT-196 instructions carefully.

Form IT-196

Form IT-196 Instructions

If you were using the CD/Download TurboTax software you could just go to forms mode and open Form IT-196, even if it's not included in your tax return. The ability to look at any form is one of the many advantages of the CD/Download software.

As an alternative, you could call TurboTax support. With your permission they can look at your tax return, which we cannot do here in the community.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies