turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable Donations: Unacceptable amount

Thanks for answering. By the time I reached the $300 part of my Federal return TT must have fixed it because TT okayed my return. That particular screen needs to warn people not to type $300 into the box. I could see my actual cash donation amount shaded in the box but was told to leave it and Continue to next screen. I did and TT automatically filled $300 on my 1040 Standard Deductions return. 

TurboTax Deluxe CD/Download Windows

hope you can help me with a new problem since you solved my last one.

I went through all the itemizing steps for my federal return but it turned out that the standard deductions were better. I have a copy of 2020 Form 1040, Schedule A - Itemized Deductions hot off my printer so there is no question that I went through the steps.  I also have a copy of Form 2-Page 7-2020 Montana State Return Itemized Deductions Schedule hot off my printer. 

Why then, as I go through Step-by-Step for the Montana return, when I reach the screen that says “Montana Itemized Deductions MFSC”, is it telling me: “To itemize deductions on your Montana return, you must go back to your federal return and enter your federal itemized deductions there. Then return here and allocate your deductions between you and your spouse.” (On federal I filed Married Filing Jointly; on state I am filing Married Filing Separately because that is what TT recommended.) I’ve ALREADY gone through the steps!

As I went through Federal 2020 Step-by Step, I entered all our information to itemize including a long list to value all my deceased husband’s wardrobe donated to an approved charity (men’s shelter), long list of all the checks to charities, medical bills, mileages, etc. etc. Just like 2019, after I finished itemizing, TT said Federal standard deductions were more advantageous. I finished my Federal return, it was okayed by TT but not filed and now I am working on my Montana state return. 

All the information for itemizing is in there and I have both State and Federal forms printed to prove I haven’t lost my marbles..... so what is the problem? In 2019 the itemization schedule automatically transferred into the MT state return so why not in 2020? Thank you for your help!

As of 09May'21, I still am having the problem with Standard Deduction, Charitable Donations: Unacceptable amount.  I did zero this out & ran through the checks with zero errors, to the point of e-filing.  Then, went back to add $300 of cash contributions back in.  Error pops back up.  Will try filing without running error check next.  <Help><About...> shows Module WinPerRelease Version [phone number removed]

Very aggravating!

After re-working the return per the advice, removing the charitable contribution, running the review, then adding it back in & not running the review again, I got the Tax Due amount back to where it was at the first run-thru.  Taxes filed.  The work-around worked.  Thanks for the help, though I will caution others that such a software error that affects so many users should have been fixed in an update & never apparent to me.  

grumpy22

This is a very simple fix. I had the same problem and called Turbotax.  At the bottom left-hand corner of the screen that has the error message you will see an arrow and the form number (1040/1040SR).  Click the arrow and it will bring up the IRS form.  Scroll down and you will see the error highlighted.  You are allowed $300 if filing single or $600 if filing jointly.  Enter the correct amount and you are error free.

Same Problem
Returning Member

Same problem here.  Tried full amount of donations, 300, 600, etc.  All result in an error.

Same Problem
Returning Member

Changed to line above to 600 (allowed charitable deduction for married filing jointly), and then put in 600 on the charitable deduction line.  Does not accept, and reverts to 300, which it also does not accept.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you follow these steps you should be able to correct the problem.

First, you must clear all donations from the Deductions & Credits input screen

In the Desktop version:

1. Go to Deductions and Credits

2. Scroll to the bottom of the page

3. Select Done with Deductions

4. Let's check your Deductions .. Continue

5. Here are your 2021 Deductions ... Continue

6. The Standard deduction is right for you ... Continue

7. GET A TAX BREAK FOR DONATING CASH TO CHARITY

8. Enter your amount

Online version

1. Go to Deductions & Credits

2. Scroll to the very bottom

3. Select Wrap up Tax Breaks (Online)

4. Continue through the interview to 

5. Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act

6. Enter your donation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tom S6

This problem is definitely not fixed in TT Home and Business.   I've tried every suggestion in this thread, but still get to a "1040/1040SR WKS: Charitable contributions: Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value." error.  Changing the value solves absolutely nothing and it cycles back to the same error.  I even completely deleted the 1040/1040SR worksheet form and it still re-created it and came up with the same error.  TT is completely failing on this issue...needs to be fixed ASAP.

@Tom S6 

Please return to the Deductions & Credits section, scroll down to "Charitable Donations" and DELETE any cash entries you made there.

To include charitable donations for your state return, you can enter the donations as "Items" select "I'll value them, select "Other intangible property" enter the description as cash if it was and the amount as the value.

Go back through the review. The program will ask you for that number again although it may not be until the END of the FINAL REVIEW. (After the "Tax Summary for 2021" screen)

Enter the amount up to 600 Married Filing Joint.

Same Problem
Returning Member

Dear Turbotax,

Can you please fix this simple problem so that it works properly, without any complicated workarounds?

Many Thanks!

Are these instructions for the installed, desktop version of TurboTax?  If so, they do not match the software.  If it is TurboTax software, when will it be corrected.

GZ3
Returning Member

I am getting this message over and over.

I have followed several steps to correct.

We are filing jointly and  using the standard itemized $600.00

But every time I correct the $300. joint and input $600.

It fails and goes back to $300

I see others are having this issue also

Thanks for any help

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax Online customers are experiencing an issue when trying to enter their charitable cash donations when claiming the Standard Deduction. When trying to claim the credit up to its maximum values, Married Filing Jointly and Single taxpayers are getting an error check message that says “1040/1040SR wks charitable contributions has an unacceptable value.” If you’re receiving the error check message, enter the amount of donations you made up to the maximum limit per your filing status.

For Married Filing Jointly, the maximum amount to claim is $600. For Single filers, the maximum amount to claim is $300.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same problem. TT has a glitch and is not populating the correct amount of $600 for maximum allowed cash donations when itemizing for married filing jointly.  It enters $300. I have fixed it on the form, only to have the incorrect amount of $300 return just like others have experienced.  And yes, we have well over $600 in cash donations to we qualify. We shouldn't have to do a workaround or override, as that may not allow us to eFile.  Turbo Tax, please fix this!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies