turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have depreciation recapture income. Am I able to reduce this pro-rata based on prior Sch A AGI 2% job expense limitation deductions?

I had a truck used for more than 50% business and thus was taking depreciation deductions.  This year I stopped using it for business and have calculated the depreciation recapture income (no Sec 179 ever taken.)  My prior years' deductions were subject to the Schedule A 2% of AGI limitation so I never received the full benefit.  It would seem only right to be able to reduce this income in a similar fashion since I'm having to recapture it.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I have depreciation recapture income. Am I able to reduce this pro-rata based on prior Sch A AGI 2% job expense limitation deductions?

It depends -

The amount subject to recapture at any disposition of property under Section 1245 or Section 1250 is defined as the lesser of the gain limitation or the "depreciation limitation" (reduced by the applicable percentage in the case of certain Section 1250 property), and the amount of gain recaptured and treated as ordinary income under those sections cannot exceed either the gain or depreciation limitations.

The Depreciation limitation would be determined by the amount of depreciation taken so if the amount of actual depreciation taken was less than the allowed depreciation calculated due to the 2% AGI limitation, then you will calculate the amount of the depreciation limitation for recapture based on the amount actually taken (if this amount was correctly calculated).

Also note that if you do not have a gain on the deemed sale of the asset, then you will not have to include any depreciation recapture.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

It depends -

The amount subject to recapture at any disposition of property under Section 1245 or Section 1250 is defined as the lesser of the gain limitation or the "depreciation limitation" (reduced by the applicable percentage in the case of certain Section 1250 property), and the amount of gain recaptured and treated as ordinary income under those sections cannot exceed either the gain or depreciation limitations.

The Depreciation limitation would be determined by the amount of depreciation taken so if the amount of actual depreciation taken was less than the allowed depreciation calculated due to the 2% AGI limitation, then you will calculate the amount of the depreciation limitation for recapture based on the amount actually taken (if this amount was correctly calculated).

Also note that if you do not have a gain on the deemed sale of the asset, then you will not have to include any depreciation recapture.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies