turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to report the small piece, of my property, I gave my son?

He paid for all of the expenses and he and his wife plan to build a house on it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

It depends on the value. You are allowed to gift $14,000 to any individual in 2017. If the value is less than $28,000, you can considered that you gifted the remaining balance to his wife. Any amount over the $28,000 will require a Form 709.

Form 709 

The purpose of IRS Form 709 is to report gifts that are subject to gift and generation-skipping transfer taxes. 

The most common rule is the annual exclusion, whereby anyone can give up to $14,000 in cash or property to a person without having a taxable gift. This is the provision that prevents most ordinary holiday or birthday gifts from being taxable. 

Even if you have made a taxable gift, Form 709 isn't as big of a burden as many think. That's because unless you've made a huge gift, you won't have to pay any actual gift tax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

It depends on the value. You are allowed to gift $14,000 to any individual in 2017. If the value is less than $28,000, you can considered that you gifted the remaining balance to his wife. Any amount over the $28,000 will require a Form 709.

Form 709 

The purpose of IRS Form 709 is to report gifts that are subject to gift and generation-skipping transfer taxes. 

The most common rule is the annual exclusion, whereby anyone can give up to $14,000 in cash or property to a person without having a taxable gift. This is the provision that prevents most ordinary holiday or birthday gifts from being taxable. 

Even if you have made a taxable gift, Form 709 isn't as big of a burden as many think. That's because unless you've made a huge gift, you won't have to pay any actual gift tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies