turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bwmill2

Should transportation industry meal expenses affect my return?

When I added this expense it had no effect on my amount due.  It seems like it is not being calculated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends, but it is likely that you will not get this deduction this year.   The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act made a number of significant changes in the tax law.  One big change that affects Transportation Industry workers is that the "per diem" deduction is suspended (not available on the Federal Return) until 2025 for those who work as employees.  Some states are still allowing the deduction, which is why it is a part of the interview process still.  

Owner-operators and Contractors are still allowed the deduction against self-employment income.  But these deductions are not calculating on Schedule A.

Because of this change, it might be worthwhile to speak with your employer about establishing an accountable plan.  Through an accountable plan, you can submit expenses such as these for tax-free reimbursement, and the company is still allowed to take a deduction for these reimbursements on it's tax return.  But if you are an employee, these deductions are no longer available for Schedule A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends, but it is likely that you will not get this deduction this year.   The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act made a number of significant changes in the tax law.  One big change that affects Transportation Industry workers is that the "per diem" deduction is suspended (not available on the Federal Return) until 2025 for those who work as employees.  Some states are still allowing the deduction, which is why it is a part of the interview process still.  

Owner-operators and Contractors are still allowed the deduction against self-employment income.  But these deductions are not calculating on Schedule A.

Because of this change, it might be worthwhile to speak with your employer about establishing an accountable plan.  Through an accountable plan, you can submit expenses such as these for tax-free reimbursement, and the company is still allowed to take a deduction for these reimbursements on it's tax return.  But if you are an employee, these deductions are no longer available for Schedule A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies