turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is the repair expenses deductible for my house sold to tenant while showed on the closing statement as seller credit?

OK, that makes it easy. Because the house was “in service” less than one year, you do not have to take depreciation or account for recapture when you sell.  You will also qualify for the capital gains exclusion, under the facts you stated.

Since you did not receive a 1099–S form, you do not have to report the sale on your tax return.  If you report the sale in TurboTax, use the section for “sale of your home“ as indicated above, and not the section for sale of rental property. After you enter all your information, TurboTax will probably tell you “you do not have to report this sale unless you received a 1099-S form. Do you want to report it anyway?“ and you can say “no” and it will be left off of your tax return again.

Because you do not have any taxable capital gains, you don’t receive any tax benefit for the repair expense as an adjustment to the sale price.  However, as I indicated previously, I don’t believe that you would be allowed to deduct the repair expense against your rental income because you did not actually pay for the repair. You gave the seller a credit on the selling price, and you have no idea whether the seller paid more or less to repair the items or has left them un-repaired.  Sellers who have to make repairs to sell their personal homes almost never get a tax benefit for it anyway, so you are not in any worse position than any other home seller.

Cheers.  

Is the repair expenses deductible for my house sold to tenant while showed on the closing statement as seller credit?

Thanks so much for your explanation! Great help!

Depreciation was required since the rental spanned over 2 tax years ... so unless you rented it on 1/1 and sold prior to 12/31 of the same tax year then you should have taken depreciation.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies