Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is foundation repair to a rented property considered land improvement or real estate asset?

I own a duplex (both sides) and rent both sides. I had to do foundation repairs on both sides.  Since the quote was a total without splitting costs by side, I used a factor based on the # of piers to each side to determine how much for each side.  Is this ok? Also, I am assuming this is an improvement.  When asked if  The cost of all repairs, maintenance and improvements is less than or equal to the smallest of these limits: 2% of the unadjusted basis of your building or $10,000, I answer NO.  After this is when I get stuck as I am not sure if foundation repair is considered land improvment or real estate? Please help? THanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Is foundation repair to a rented property considered land improvement or real estate asset?

The foundation of your building is considered Residential Real Estate, not a land improvement. Examples of land improvements include paved parking areas, driveways, fences, outdoor lighting, etc. The foundation is very much a part of the building.

Your allocation of the cost between the two units seems reasonable, but I am wondering why you aren't reporting your property as a single rental property, since you own both sides and rent both sides.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

The foundation of your building is considered Residential Real Estate, not a land improvement. Examples of land improvements include paved parking areas, driveways, fences, outdoor lighting, etc. The foundation is very much a part of the building.

Your allocation of the cost between the two units seems reasonable, but I am wondering why you aren't reporting your property as a single rental property, since you own both sides and rent both sides.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I would agree but here's a different perspective. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3028666-how-to-enter-partially-occupied-duplex-where-one-unit-was-...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies