turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is covid considered a natural disaster?

Can I claim being affected by a natural disaster because of covid?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
Tay1988

I am not a tax expert, but I think the TAX EXPERT up above who stated,  "Yes.  Effective March 13, 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic is a qualifying natural disaster.  The COVID-19 pandemic is a “federally declared disaster,” as defined by section 165(i)(5)(A) of the Code. " Should also specify that the Natural Disaster question on Turbo Tax clearly states, "Select Yes only if you were affected by a federally declared natural disaster that was declared BEFORE February 19, 2020". 

How can you answer YES to the natural disaster question due to Covid, if it wasn't declared  until March 12th 2020, when Turbo Tax ask if you were affected BEFORE Feb 19th 2020?

The question in the software regarding natural disasters does not apply to COVID.  It is true that COVID is considered a Federally Declared Disaster, and TurboTax automatically assists with the Recovery Rebate Credit.  There are questions during the interview pertaining to the amount of stimulus that everyone was received.  Since COVID affected the entire nation, the stimulus applies in every state.  

The question in TurboTax about whether you are affected by a natural disaster pertains to claiming a casualty loss of property due to natural disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, wildfires, and the like.  Your question about the date is valid but the question isn't referring to COVID, since it's already been handled separately and taken into consideration by the software.

Here is an IRS link about natural disaster relief

And an IRS video for victims of natural disasters.

@Tay1988

Barbaramcgrath692 tax code 785494. I did not. work in 2019. We were in lockdown.And most restaurants were closed. I already filed my taxes. Is there any way that I can receive this ? Please help me. Thank you barbaramcgrath692.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

@Buddyandbarbara114. Is there any way you can receive what? Classification of COVID as a natural disaster? No.  It is not considered one.

Jlogan12
Returning Member

what happens when u put covid as a natural  disaster  or said yes to it? Will the irs update it automatically  or its can cause more issues

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@Jlogan12  If you took out retirement money and filed for the 3 year COVID disaster on 8915-E, you have 3 years to claim all the money.

If you are a business that claimed COVID, you have SE deferral and maybe extra credits.

If you said you had a casualty disaster and then did not add any property loss information, there is nothing in there.

Not knowing anything about your tax return, if all you did was say yes with no extra information added, nothing could have been done to your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jlogan12
Returning Member

I filed on here and got  a huge refund back t hen j went for a 2nd look at a tax prep place i was told my unemployment  wasn't suppose to be included as income. They didn't amend it because they said the irs will auto adjust it for me i wonder how true that is 

Jlogan12
Returning Member

Continuation from my 1st reply above ... i got a huge tax back i filed with a child indidnt even get the child credits just one when I went to the tax prep place but on here I did I wonder if the irs gonna adjust my turbo tax refund to less how the prep shop said they would update automatically  it been since Feb 18 when I filed taxes taxes still processing with 2 child credits instead of one and also unemployment  as income in which its not suppose to be included

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The IRS announced that people who are eligible for the unemployment tax deduction and have already filed their 2020 taxes do not need to file an amended return.

The IRS will recalculate their taxes, adjust their account accordingly, and send any refund amount directly to them.

This IRS FAQ states:

If you have already filed your 2020 Form 1040 or 1040-SR, you should not file an amended return at this time. The IRS will issue additional guidance as soon as possible.

To qualify for child related credits, a dependent must meet the requirements of a qualifying child.

The tests for a qualifying child are:

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

It is unclear to me whether you qualify for child related credits and whether you will need to amend a tax return to claim these credits.  If you qualify for these credits, do not amend until after you have received the unemployment income refund from the IRS.

Jlogan12
Returning Member

Ok. Yea because my turbotax added that unemployment  income so my refund was huge compared to going in to a shop I went too. Also I think I filed for both tax credits in which the shops here said just one I filed both on here.... will the irs adjust that also?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The IRS will not adjust the tax credits. You will need to amend the return if you think your tax credits are affected by the Unemployment exclusion. At this time, Turbo Tax is working on revising it's tax forms including the amendment. Sign up here to be notified when you can continue to amend your return.

Tom1nat0r
Returning Member

I became disabled in April 2020. I developed osteoarthritis in my left knee and lost my job as an ICU nurse. I cashed in my retirement accounts from the hospital I worked at and paid off my mortgage. Is becoming disabled from osteoarthritis considered a disaster. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, You are trying to spread the distribution over 3 years and are not eligible. However, due to the medical or other circumstances, you may not have to pay the 10% penalty for early withdrawal. See page 4 of Instructions for Form 5329 for the exceptions to the penalty.

@Tom1nat0r

I believe that Covid19, was a disaster BEFORE it was declared, just by the nature of the title. Covid 19. It  began in 2019. People were dying. It was in the news. Hospitals didn't know what they were dealing with at first. The former president kept denying it, then blamed China. But Americans like myself, were stressed about it getting to us. Some Americans were overseas. 

We began preparing for it long before it was even declared. 

So in regards to this year, 2022, and it's still here, we were all affected by it last year, 2021, by purchasing masks, gloves, getting vaccinated, going to the Dr's, taking care of children that couldn't go to school, paying extra to make sure the internet was on, etc.

So the answer to that question,  is YES.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies