Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tdbryant1998
Returning Member

Indiana Renter's Deduction, do I qualify?

I pay rent at a normal apartment complex. Not school housing, not income-based, not involved with the government. Just a regular apartment(I'm guessing it's just normal because none of that stuff applies to me). TurboTax asks me if I paid rent last year and if so, how much. After putting how much, it says I qualify for a deduction but there is so much conflicting information online about whether or not I qualify. Is this only for people who pay property tax? Do I need to ask my leasing manager about it?

Thank you,

Travis

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Indiana Renter's Deduction, do I qualify?

The state of IN has a renter deduction of up to $3000 on a state of Indiana income tax return.  If you are a tenant renting a residence in IN you can get the deduction.  It does not have to be government housing, school housing, etc.   You are just renting an apartment in a complex, and that is fine.   Enter your information on the screens when you prepare your Indiana return and enjoy the deduction.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies