turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Independent contractor - is public transportation deductable?

I work as a dog walker (independent contractor) and I use mostly public transportation to go to client's homes. Is public transportation deductable as I'm not going to a office and i'm going from client's house to client's house?

On that note, On the rare occasion, I used rideshare (uber,lyft) to go from a client's house to another. Is it deductable too?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Commuting expenses are not deductible. Business travel is a deductible business expense. The question then becomes, is the travel between your home to client's homes commuting or business travel?

Commuting includes the expenses of buses, subways, taxis, and operating a private car between home and the taxpayer's place of work, and is generally a nondeductible personal expense.

There are some exceptions to deducting these similar expenses:

1. A taxpayer is allowed to deduct daily transportation expenses incurred in going between the taxpayer's residence and work outside the metropolitan area where the taxpayer lives and normally works.
  2. If the taxpayer has a regular place of business, daily expenses for transportation between the taxpayer's home and temporary work locations are deductible.
  3. A taxpayer may deduct daily expenses for transportation between the taxpayer's home and other regular or temporary work locations if the taxpayer's residence is the taxpayer's principal place of business, based on the home office rules.

Additionally, if the taxpayer works at two or more jobs during the same day, he or she may deduct the cost of going from one job to the other or from one business location to another.

In your case, #3 may apply. See the link below for additional information.

IRS Travel Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I agree that #3 fits my case. So when filing my return should I classify it as business travel or commuting?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

It is business travel since commuting is not deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies