Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Income

I am currently a resident of Hawaii but I moved to Arizona on 10/05/2022 to attend school. During my stay in Arizona, I didn't earn any income from 10/05/2022 to 09/30/2023 since I was a student. However, after completing my studies on 09/15/2023, I secured a job back in Hawaii. 

Regarding my situation, I have a few questions:

1. Will I still be considered a resident of Hawaii?

2. Do I need to file a tax return in Arizona?

3. Can I claim moving expenses on my tax return since I had to move back to Hawaii due to my job?"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Income

1.   If HI is your home state and you were a dependent of your parents (etc) there, then living away at school was a "temporary absence" and you were still a resident of HI.

2.  No you do not need to fill an AZ tax return since you earned no income while in AZ

3. No,  you cannot claim moving expenses for moving to and from school or back to HI for a job.  Only certain active duty member of the military can enter moving expenses on a federal tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies