Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In October of 2016 I financed a new Dodge van with $500 down. $25,534.00 was original principle. I had major health issues in 2017 that lead to me being out of work and losing the vehicle in July

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In October of 2016 I financed a new Dodge van with $500 down. $25,534.00 was original principle. I had major health issues in 2017 that lead to me being out of work and losing the vehicle in July

What is your tax question?

there's no tax deduction for having your vehicle repossessed

In fact, you may get a 1099-C cancellation of debt tax form from the lender at some point which may increase your tax in that year.
Anita01

There is no tax input for a repossessed vehicle if it was a personal vehicle, unfortunately.  If it was used in a business, when you go through the business portion, you would edit this asset and check that it was sold in 2017, for the amount of the loan you still owed.

Treyvk

I am in a similar situation, ugh, like I didn’t think I would fall and fracture bones at work and be on sdi, I’m still waiting on sdi and that set me back and got my Car repoed , thank goodness is tax season ✊🏾

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies