I am confused as to how to answer questions about the home office deduction. My wife uses our entire house for the day care for part of the day from 6am-6pm. Monday thru Friday. I am not sure how to answer the 2 questions that ask. 1) did she use an area of this home exclusively for day care? and 2) Did she use an area of this home only partly for daycare. I answered yes to the first one and no to the second. And in estimating the square feet of area used exclusively for day care I put in the entire home. And lastly for the percentage of business conducted at my address I used 100%. Does this sound like the correct response?
You will include your expenses for the room/rooms that you use strictly for daycare purposes. Most of the time, when deducting home office expenses, the room has to be exclusively used for work purposes only. However, the exclusive-use test does not apply if you use part of your house to provide day care services for children, the elderly or handicapped individuals. If you care for children in your home between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. each day, for example, you can use that part of the house for personal activities the rest of the time and still claim business deductions. To qualify for the tax break, your daycare business must meet any applicable state and local licensing requirements.
Special rules apply if you qualify for home office deductions under the day care exception to the exclusive-use test.
- Your business-use percentage must be reduced because the space is available for personal use part of the time.
- To do that, you compare the number of hours the child care business is operated, including preparation and cleanup time, to the total number of hours in the year (8,760).
Assume you use 40% of your house for a daycare business that operates 12 hours a day, five days a week for 50 weeks of the year.
- 12 hours x 5 days x 50 weeks = 3,000 hours per year.
- 3,000 hours ÷ 8,760 total hours in the year = 0.34 (34%) of available hours.
- 34% of available hours x 40% of the house used for business = 13.6% business write-off percentage.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
1) did she use an area of this home exclusively for day care? and
2) Did she use an area of this home only partly for daycare.
No, you said the home was only used for part or the day. So you don't have any "exclusive" space so you need to say "no"..
Yes, you said your entire home is used partly for daycare, so say "yes".