Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2023, I lived in France for 7 months and earned $3200. I paid taxes on this income in France. Do I need to pay income tax in the US for that? I made $20,000 in US too.

Turbo tax is saying I'm excluded from any credits because I wasn't there a year. It is having me pay about 200 more in taxes. Is that right?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

In 2023, I lived in France for 7 months and earned $3200. I paid taxes on this income in France. Do I need to pay income tax in the US for that? I made $20,000 in US too.

Correct. You will not be able to get the foreign income exclusion.  However, you should enter the tax you paid to France in the foreign tax credit topic to get that credit.  

In the "Deductions & Credits" section use the  "Estimates and other taxes paid" dropdown, you will find the "Foreign tax credit" topic.  Select the "General Income" category when asked.  You may be asked to enter/verify the foreign income.  If you need to enter the foreign income in this topic then go back and delete it from the topic you previously entered the income in (for example other reportable income) so it is not entered/reported twice.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies