turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hsjin1017

I'm an international PhD student and have lived in the U.S. less than 5 years. Many people say that I cannot do e-filing. Can I use turbotax for my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I'm an international PhD student and have lived in the U.S. less than 5 years. Many people say that I cannot do e-filing. Can I use turbotax for my tax return?

If you are on a F-visa and have lived in US less than 5 years, you will not be able to use TurboTax to file your taxes.

Per IRS, if you are a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" meaning not counting days for five years starting from the date of your first arrival in the United States. You are considered as a nonresident and required to file a Form 1040-NR. After the five years period, you will start counting days by using the Substantial Presence Test  to see if you qualify to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes.  If you meet the test, you will be treated as a US resident for tax purposes and will be able to file a Form 1040.

For more examples, see :https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/alien-residency-examples

As TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR,  we have a partnership with Sprintax who offers filing solution to our TurboTax customers.  See Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

If you are on a F-visa and have lived in US less than 5 years, you will not be able to use TurboTax to file your taxes.

Per IRS, if you are a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" meaning not counting days for five years starting from the date of your first arrival in the United States. You are considered as a nonresident and required to file a Form 1040-NR. After the five years period, you will start counting days by using the Substantial Presence Test  to see if you qualify to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes.  If you meet the test, you will be treated as a US resident for tax purposes and will be able to file a Form 1040.

For more examples, see :https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/alien-residency-examples

As TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR,  we have a partnership with Sprintax who offers filing solution to our TurboTax customers.  See Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies