Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jprinc2

I bought a house in 2014 with a mortgage and a heloc. Does the heloc still will qualify for the interest deduction in 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I bought a house in 2014 with a mortgage and a heloc. Does the heloc still will qualify for the interest deduction in 2018?

According to the tax bill before Congress, No the interest from a Home Equity loan would not be deductible.

Go to this website and see Item 7 - http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/15/news/economy/gop-tax-plan-details/index.html

7. Lowers cap on mortgage interest deduction: If you take out a new mortgage on a first or second home you would only be allowed to deduct the interest on debt up to $750,000, down from $1 million today. Homeowners who already have a mortgage would be unaffected by the change.

The bill would no longer allow a deduction for the interest on home equity loans. Currently that's allowed on loans up to $100,000.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

According to the tax bill before Congress, No the interest from a Home Equity loan would not be deductible.

Go to this website and see Item 7 - http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/15/news/economy/gop-tax-plan-details/index.html

7. Lowers cap on mortgage interest deduction: If you take out a new mortgage on a first or second home you would only be allowed to deduct the interest on debt up to $750,000, down from $1 million today. Homeowners who already have a mortgage would be unaffected by the change.

The bill would no longer allow a deduction for the interest on home equity loans. Currently that's allowed on loans up to $100,000.

If the HELOC was used to buy, build or substantially improve your home, it would still be deductible.  However, other amounts would not be deductible.
jprinc2

Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies