Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Jordan1994
Returning Member

If the car I use to deliver food with doordash was given to me but my name isn't on the title can I still claim mileage

Thank you so much so even if I don’t own the car, I can claim the tags? I did pay them. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If the car I use to deliver food with doordash was given to me but my name isn't on the title can I still claim mileage

Tags are based on your state laws. If they are based on the value of the vehicle, they are a property tax. For full deductions, please see About Publication 463, Travel, Gift, and Car Expenses, chapter 4. I agree that it sounds like you might be renting or leasing the vehicle. 

@Jordan1994

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
maglib
Level 11

My son does doordash and we did this very easily. We just find out the standard mileage rate. We own his car.   Once he checks in with Door dash it monitors all his driving so that tracks all the miles until he comes back home and ends his shift or signs off.  We charge our son the exact amount based on the IRS allowance as a deduction, he pays us that amount in the form of a check monthly so it's specifically identified.  We can choose to include it as other income on our tax return with an offset for the exact amount so it nets to 0 if ever asked.... since the expense exactly offsets the income.. but it's trackable.

What I choose to do with my son from any other standpoint for gifting is on me and has nothing to do with that check.

Very simple methodology. All tracked.  It is his actual trackable expense paid to us.  It is reasonable and fair.  Much simpler than allocating gas, tires, maintenance, repairs, etc.

The other option, is just have your name added to the vehicle.

Hope I was helpful

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies