Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my house caught on fire leaving me to move in with a relative 30 minutes away give me any breaks on my tax credit for the commute to work or personal property damage?

The rental property I lived in caught on fire. And I was forced to move in with my mother who lived 30 min away for the rest of the year and I had to pay for extra gas to get to my job. And also replace many damaged items from the fire.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

If my house caught on fire leaving me to move in with a relative 30 minutes away give me any breaks on my tax credit for the commute to work or personal property damage?

Sorry -- that sounds awful, but there is nothing to enter on a tax return for any of those events or situations.  There is no deduction for commuting to and from work, nor is there anything to enter about the property loss.   Casualty losses are not deductible on a federal tax return unless you are in a federally declared disaster area.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies