turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vnc121

I use my car for both my real estate business and a side business. Can I put all the mileage under one job or split for each?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Andy_F

I use my car for both my real estate business and a side business. Can I put all the mileage under one job or split for each?

If it is in the same industry, it would be one Schedule C, and one car.

However, if it is for 2 different industries, you will be asked about vehicle expenses twice.  In this case, due to depreciation from the 'Actual Cost' method, you would not be able to take this deduction twice as it would be double-counting.  Instead you should claim the business mileage on each Schedule C for the mileage driven for each job, and TurboTax will utilize the Standard Mileage rate.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Andy_F

If it is in the same industry, it would be one Schedule C, and one car.

However, if it is for 2 different industries, you will be asked about vehicle expenses twice.  In this case, due to depreciation from the 'Actual Cost' method, you would not be able to take this deduction twice as it would be double-counting.  Instead you should claim the business mileage on each Schedule C for the mileage driven for each job, and TurboTax will utilize the Standard Mileage rate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies