Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

njm10

If i sell my second home for a 100,000 profit then donate 50,000 to a qualified 501c3, can the 50,000 donation be used against the tax liability on the sale?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If i sell my second home for a 100,000 profit then donate 50,000 to a qualified 501c3, can the 50,000 donation be used against the tax liability on the sale?

Indirectly, yes.  The donation is going to reduce your ordinary taxable income.  The gain on the sale is going to be capital gains and, depending on the holding period for the home before selling it, could be long-term capital gains.  

Benefit #1 - The capital gain amount is not affected by the donation and is likely, with the numbers you are using, to be taxed at 15% assuming the home was held for at least a year (so long-term rates).  This tax rate will be lower than your ordinary income tax rate which is likely 22% or higher with the numbers you are using.   

Benefit #2 - The charitable donation will reduce the ordinary income but only marginally.  Meaning the donations are itemized deductions so only the amount above your standard deduction will be tax beneficial.  On the plus side if you are in the 24% tax bracket every $100 of donation above your standard deduction reduces your tax $24 vs only $15 if the capital gain were reduced.       

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
njm10

I would like to ask a more detailed question regarding response item #1 as I am retired.  However, I don't want the information displayed in a public forum. Is that possible? 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, everything posted on here is public.  There is no private chat option in Community.  You can choose TurboTax Live to get individual and confidential tax help.  For more information on TurboTax Live see:  How do I get TurboTax Live?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You are anonymous here until you reveal your True Name or email address.

@njm10 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies