Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Idaho child and dependent care deduction- turbo tax error on worksheet?

Idaho Form 39R, Line 6 (child and dependent care deduction), directs to worksheet. Line 1 of the worksheet asks for the amount of qualified expenses and states: "Do not include amounts . . .  excluded from taxable income." 
TurboTax entered the total amount of qualified expenses and did not reduce by reimbursement received from a dependent care account. Is that an error? Shouldn't it be the amount of the qualified expenses excluding dependent care benefits? What am I missing?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

We were applying logic and I re-read the instructions. Page 30 shows the same form but explains the difference in calculations and Idaho is giving you the most benefit possible.  Your employer paid amount is in the calculations but the final answer may not include those payments. Yours is one of those times. You are good to go.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

There's no known error with this Idaho computation.

You're correct that line 1 of the Child and Dependent Care Worksheet in the Form 39R, Resident Supplemental Schedule shouldn't include amounts excluded from taxable income. 

However, look at line 3 of the worksheet:  "Enter excluded benefits from Part III of Form 2441." The line 3 amount would be the computation from line 25 of Form 2441

Has this amount from Form 2441, if there is one, been subtracted in the worksheet formula?

Thanks for the quick response. Yes the excluded benefits are considered in line 3 in the worksheet for comparison with line 1  (not deducted from line 1), so don't appear to be accounted for if Line 1 ends up being the lesser amount. Also why would the instruction include the admonition to not include amounts excluded from taxable income if it intended for that amount to be incorporated later?

For illustrative purposes:

1. Enter the amount of qualified expenses you incurred and paid in 2023. Don’t include amounts paid by your employer or excluded from taxable income: TurboTax inserts the amount from IRS Form 2441, Line 1(e) (total amount of expenses not reduced by any reimbursement amounts) $5000 for purposes of example.

2. Enter $12,000 for one or more child or dependent cared for during the year: $12,000

3. Enter excluded benefits from Part III of Form 2441: $2,500

4. Subtract line 3 from line 2. If zero or less, stop. You can’t claim the deduction: $9,500

5. Enter your earned income: $100,000

6. If married filing a joint return, enter your spouse’s earned income. All others enter the amount from line 5: $100,000

7. Enter the smallest of lines 1, 4, 5, or 6 here and on Form 39R, Part B, line 6: $5,000

Shouldn’t line 1 be using  the amount fro IRS Form 2441, Line 2(d) (amount of expenses not including reimbursed amounts)? 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

It is supposed to be coming from 2d according to the data source. I can track mine back to line 2d of the  2441 which makes me wonder if there is another issue. You should be receiving credit if you had taxable expenses above your pre-tax dollars.

Perhaps you have some data stuck. Follow these steps:

Online version:

A full or corrupted cache can cause problems in TurboTax, so sometimes you need to clear your cache (that is, remove these temporary files).

For stuck information follow these steps:

1. Delete the form/ worksheet- if possible, see How to Delete  
  2. Log out of your return and try one or more of the following:
    • Don't use Internet Explorer.
    • Clear cache and cookies,
    • Sign in using a different browser.
    • Sign in using a different device.
  3. Log back into your return.
    • Enter the information again.

Desktop version: 

1. Delete the form
  2. Save your return while closing the program.
  3. Update the program
  4. Open
  5. Enter the information again.

It does not appear to be an issue with corrupted cache -- I don't know how to check the data source but I can tell you it is pulling the amount from Line 1(e) of the 2441. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

We were applying logic and I re-read the instructions. Page 30 shows the same form but explains the difference in calculations and Idaho is giving you the most benefit possible.  Your employer paid amount is in the calculations but the final answer may not include those payments. Yours is one of those times. You are good to go.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies