Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work overseas and do not get a W-2. I am trying to add my foreign earned income. Where do I go in the TurboTax software to do that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I work overseas and do not get a W-2. I am trying to add my foreign earned income. Where do I go in the TurboTax software to do that?

To enter Foreign Earned Income -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Less Common Income
On Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion, click on the start or update button

Or enter foreign income in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to foreign income

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After following the instructions that DoninGA gave you, when TurboTax asks what form the foreign income was reported on, select "A statement from my foreign employer (could be cash)."

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@rhymedog56 , agreeing with the steps/ instructions etc.  from my colleagues  @DoninGA  and @rjs ,  I would like to suggest  you to familiarize yourself with IIRS pub. 54 -->   Publication 54 (2023), Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad | Internal Revenue Ser...

assuming that this is first year filing  from abroad.

Please also note that  even if  excluded , your Foreign Earned Income , is still subject to FICA /SECA  Taxes  ( 15.3%   for Social Security & Medicare  ).  If you are participating  in the  local country's similar scheme, then you still have to file the schedule-SE , attach the certificate of participation -- so you don't pay twice.  This applies  only for countries that have a totalization agreement with the USA  ( please  see  SSA website on the list of countries and how to do it ).

Is there more I can do for you ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies