Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work as an executive. Can I deduct my dry cleaning from my suits and work shirts

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RyanH2

I work as an executive. Can I deduct my dry cleaning from my suits and work shirts

Please use the information from the answer below to see if you meet the requirements to claim your dry cleaning, as well as where to enter it :).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3074993

To Enter Your Dry Cleaning Expenses:

1. Select "Federal Taxes" at the top of the page

2. Select the "Deductions & Credits" sub-tab

3. Scroll down to "Employment Expenses" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start/Revisit" next to " Job Expenses for W-2 Income "

5. Select "Edit" next to your occupation(Or enter it when asked)

6. Continue through the screens regarding home office, vehicle, and assets, entering any you may have

7. After going through most of the job-related expenses section you should arrive to a screen that reads "Job-Related Expenses", enter your dry cleaning costs as the description and the total cost as the amount.

Job-related Expenses

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RyanH2

Please use the information from the answer below to see if you meet the requirements to claim your dry cleaning, as well as where to enter it :).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3074993

To Enter Your Dry Cleaning Expenses:

1. Select "Federal Taxes" at the top of the page

2. Select the "Deductions & Credits" sub-tab

3. Scroll down to "Employment Expenses" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start/Revisit" next to " Job Expenses for W-2 Income "

5. Select "Edit" next to your occupation(Or enter it when asked)

6. Continue through the screens regarding home office, vehicle, and assets, entering any you may have

7. After going through most of the job-related expenses section you should arrive to a screen that reads "Job-Related Expenses", enter your dry cleaning costs as the description and the total cost as the amount.

Job-related Expenses

To rip off the band-aid, No you cannot.

Dry cleaning is only deductible if it is for work clothes that cannot be worn outside of work. This might be the case for a firefighter's special fire-retardant suit but not for an executive. 

The only exception to this rule that I know of is if the dry cleaning was completed while traveling for work but remember that travel has to include an overnight stay away from home. Dropping off your dry cleaning in a nearby town while you meet with your client isn't deductible but if your client meeting took you far enough from home to require you to get a hotel, then  you could deduct the cost to have your suit dry cleaned before returning home the next day. 

Job-related expenses have been eliminated as deductible on your federal tax return for W-2 employees by the new tax laws

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-reform/help/which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-b...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies