Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to take the standard deduction, and worked for employers who sent me a W-2. I was also self-employed. Can I deduct travel expense from self-employment income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

I want to take the standard deduction, and worked for employers who sent me a W-2. I was also self-employed. Can I deduct travel expense from self-employment income?

Yes, since you’re self-employed or own a business, you can deduct work-related travel expenses, including vehicles, airfare, lodging, and meals. The expenses must be ordinary and necessary.

Make sure you enter the travel expenses in the correct section of TurboTax. See my link below on where to enter business expenses. Since the travel expenses are on the business side of your income tax return, they won't affect your standard deduction.

For vehicle expenses, you can choose between the standard mileage rate or the actual cost method where you track what you paid for gas and maintenance.

You can claim 50% of the cost of your meals while on business-related travel away from your tax home, provided your trip requires an overnight stay. You can also deduct 50% of the cost of meals for entertaining clients (regardless of location), but due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of (TCJA), you can no longer deduct entertainment expenses in tax years 2018 through 2025.

Additional information: Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and suppli...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

Yes, since you’re self-employed or own a business, you can deduct work-related travel expenses, including vehicles, airfare, lodging, and meals. The expenses must be ordinary and necessary.

Make sure you enter the travel expenses in the correct section of TurboTax. See my link below on where to enter business expenses. Since the travel expenses are on the business side of your income tax return, they won't affect your standard deduction.

For vehicle expenses, you can choose between the standard mileage rate or the actual cost method where you track what you paid for gas and maintenance.

You can claim 50% of the cost of your meals while on business-related travel away from your tax home, provided your trip requires an overnight stay. You can also deduct 50% of the cost of meals for entertaining clients (regardless of location), but due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of (TCJA), you can no longer deduct entertainment expenses in tax years 2018 through 2025.

Additional information: Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and suppli...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies