turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to make sure that I have gotten the most credit for my child's daycare expenses.

She attended two different childcare facilities in 2016  totaling up to $10,000 in child care expenses. When preparing  the tax return, I was only able to put in one of the daycare centers tax ID number.  It also looks like I was only given credit for paying $600.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

I want to make sure that I have gotten the most credit for my child's daycare expenses.

To enter information for 2 (or more) daycare providers:

1. Open (continue) your return if it's not already open.
  2. Click on Orange box “Take me to my return
  3. Click on the Federal Taxes tab
  4. Click on the Deductions & Credits tab
  5. Scroll down to You & Your Family, and select Child and Dependent Care Credit.

First, you'll add the amounts you paid both providers combined and enter that figure in the box for total dependent care expenses.

Then, as you continue, you'll be asked to input the specific providers.  On the entry screen for the first one, TurboTax will ask you what you paid to that specific provider.  Then when you're done entering the first provider, you'll see the button for Add another care provider and you'll repeat the process for that one.

So you're entering one total figure for all providers, then you're breaking it down to what you paid each one.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

To enter information for 2 (or more) daycare providers:

1. Open (continue) your return if it's not already open.
  2. Click on Orange box “Take me to my return
  3. Click on the Federal Taxes tab
  4. Click on the Deductions & Credits tab
  5. Scroll down to You & Your Family, and select Child and Dependent Care Credit.

First, you'll add the amounts you paid both providers combined and enter that figure in the box for total dependent care expenses.

Then, as you continue, you'll be asked to input the specific providers.  On the entry screen for the first one, TurboTax will ask you what you paid to that specific provider.  Then when you're done entering the first provider, you'll see the button for Add another care provider and you'll repeat the process for that one.

So you're entering one total figure for all providers, then you're breaking it down to what you paid each one.

How to enter 2 different daycares using turbotax download tax 2021?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps to get to the Child and Dependent Care Credit in TurboTax.

1. Open or continue your return
  2. In the search field, search for child care credit
  3. Select the Jump to link to be taken to the section
  4. Answer the questions regarding the care until you get to "How much did you pay for ___ care?"
  5. Enter the full amount you paid to both providers
  6. Enter the first provider and the portion of the amount paid to this provider
  7. Then Add Another Care Provider

@MzzPerfect

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies