I tried to use turbo tax free like every year, not...

aznguy2009

I tried to use turbo tax free like every year, nothin has changed with medical but its saying i need to upgrade b/c of medical. it didnt even ask me bout any med pperwrk

MarilynG1

Check your W-2 to see if you have an Code W entry in Box 12 that indicates you were enrolled in a Health Savings Account (HSA). 

If so, that's why you are prompted to Upgrade.

Click this link for more info on Health Savings Accounts.

However, if your income is under $39,000 you may qualify to file your Federal and State returns at no charge.

Click this link to see if you qualify for the Free File Program

aznguy2009

Hi, thank you for the help but box 12 doesnt show a Hsa or W in it. i dont know why its making me pay this year when nothing has changed 

BillM223

The problem is that we are not sure what "b/c of medical". Marilyn's guess of an HSA is reasonable as it is a common reason that taxpayers have to upgrade but it's not the only reason.

Well, on the off-chance that it is, please read the following:

It is possible to accidentally indicate to TurboTax that you had an HSA when perhaps you didn't. If you did not have an HSA, please do the following to remove all traces of HSA information from your return.

NOTE: if you see a question "What type of High Deductible Health Plan did you have any December 1, 2019?" (yes, 2019), be sure to answer "NONE".

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. continue with your return.