Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold undeveloped land (non-residence). To figure the basis of the sale can I add interest I paid when purchased, HOA fees? I assume you cannot add property tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I sold undeveloped land (non-residence). To figure the basis of the sale can I add interest I paid when purchased, HOA fees? I assume you cannot add property tax?

You can add points paid to the basis and possible property tax- if it was from the prior owner. HOA fees  would not be part of the basis.

The following items are some of the settlement fees or closing costs you can include in the basis of your property. • Abstract fees (abstract of title fees). • Charges for installing utility services. • Legal fees (including title search and preparation of the sales contract and deed). • Recording fees. • Surveys. • Transfer taxes. • Owner's title insurance. • Any amounts the seller owes that you agree to pay, such as back taxes or interest, recording or mortgage fees, charges for improvements or repairs, and sales commissions.

For full details, see     Pub 544 Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets along with About Publication 551, Basis of Assets page 2 for you

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can add points paid to the basis and possible property tax- if it was from the prior owner. HOA fees  would not be part of the basis.

The following items are some of the settlement fees or closing costs you can include in the basis of your property. • Abstract fees (abstract of title fees). • Charges for installing utility services. • Legal fees (including title search and preparation of the sales contract and deed). • Recording fees. • Surveys. • Transfer taxes. • Owner's title insurance. • Any amounts the seller owes that you agree to pay, such as back taxes or interest, recording or mortgage fees, charges for improvements or repairs, and sales commissions.

For full details, see     Pub 544 Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets along with About Publication 551, Basis of Assets page 2 for you

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies