Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold a house w/a partner. We file our taxes separately. Regarding the amount for sales expenses & adjusted cost basis, can we make the split something other than 50-50?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I sold a house w/a partner. We file our taxes separately. Regarding the amount for sales expenses & adjusted cost basis, can we make the split something other than 50-50?

You could if your ownership was not 50-50.

But if the split is altered in order to evade taxes, that could be a problem. 

In that case you would need to prove that the split other than 50/50 was justified.

What you each contributed to a down payment, what you each claimed as Mortgage Interest Deductions and property taxes for the years it was owned would be scrutinized. 

There is no law that you MUST each claim half, but you should each claim the portion you each owned. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!  We are separated and we just want the split to be fair.  The title company split our proceeds 66/34, so we were wondering if we should do something similar for the sales expenses and adjusted cost basis?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

As KrisD15 stated, you would split the cost based on what you put into it.  Why did the title company split is 66/34?  If one received 66% and the other 34%, then this would be the proper way to split it.

Since you are separated (assuming you were married) though, if you are in a community property state, the rules may be different and you may have to claim it 50/50.  Which state are you in?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies