Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rented my timeshare in Canada in 2022 and received a NR4 from Canada. Where do I post this information?

The answers you gave me do not help me. Where do I post the information on my tax return in Turbotax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I rented my timeshare in Canada in 2022 and received a NR4 from Canada. Where do I post this information?

You need to go to the federal section of TurboTax and bring up Wages and Income. Then search for Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E.) In that section, Add a Rental Property. Work through the screens, answering basic information regarding the rental property and eventually you will come to a screen that says Let's enter the income for (name of rental). You need to choose the option that says Cash, checks and electronic payments to enter your rent income.

@renee_dittman 

{Edited 4/3/23 at 12:06 PM PST}

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ThomasM125 

Incorrect information ... the "rental period was less than 15 days" is ONLY for rental of your personal residence and NOT a timeshare.  A timeshare is a Sch E rental entry where the annual fee and rental fee can be entered as expenses ... but there is no depreciation allowed. 

Thank you so much for you answer.  It was very helpful!! I did not receive the money directly.  It was applied to my maintenance fee by the company that rented out my unit. Not sure if that matters...

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Deduct the fees paid under maintenance on Sch E. This will zero out your income from the rental after correctly reporting it.

See:

Real Estate Tax Center| IRS

Rental Real Estate and Taxes| Turbo Tax      

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies