Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smurf93

I receive a car allowance reimbursment (it says reimbursement, so I'm not sure if it's taxed or not) on my paychecks. Do I claim that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I receive a car allowance reimbursment (it says reimbursement, so I'm not sure if it's taxed or not) on my paychecks. Do I claim that?

You do not need to worry about claiming any reimbursements separately.  These amounts will be included on your W-2 in the appropriate boxes for you to enter into TurboTax.   

If you receive a standard car allowance from your employer, then it is generally considered to be taxable income. Conversely, monies received from a mileage reimbursement plan are generally not considered to be taxable unless the amount reimbursed is higher than the standard federal rate for mileage deductions.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

It's included in box 1 of your W-2 most likely, and is therefore taxable income. What's on your pay stubs doesn't matter really.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

You do not need to worry about claiming any reimbursements separately.  These amounts will be included on your W-2 in the appropriate boxes for you to enter into TurboTax.   

If you receive a standard car allowance from your employer, then it is generally considered to be taxable income. Conversely, monies received from a mileage reimbursement plan are generally not considered to be taxable unless the amount reimbursed is higher than the standard federal rate for mileage deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies