joleezhao

I qualified for the Earned Income Credit (EIC) last year but didn't claim it. How can I claim it this year?

JohnB5677

If you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit. TurboTax will automatically post it to your return.

Income and family size determine if you qualify and the amount of the EITC.

Here are some areas to check:

• Go to Income and Expenses.  Is there income listed under Jos (W-2) or Self-Employment
  • Does Investment Income from stocks (1099-B), Dividends (1099-DIV) and Interest (1099-INT) total and exceed $3,650.
  • Do both you and your Dependent have a valid Social Security Number.
    • Go to My Info and confirm Social Security numbers.
  • What is your Filing Status?
    • You can't claim the EITC if your filing status is married filing separately.
joleezhao

Hey thanks for the reply, but that doesn’t really answer my question. I’ve done my research and know what EIC is, and I also know that I qualify based on my last years income. My question is that I wasn’t aware of it last year so I didn’t claim it last year - how can I claim that missing credit for this year (tho I don’t qualify this year). 

DMarkM1

In order to claim a missed credit on a prior year return you must amend that prior year return.  You have up to three years after the filing deadline to claim a refund.