turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased magazine subscriptions and then donated the magazines to a non-profit. Can I clam this when filing my itemized tax return?

I'm using It's Deductable

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

I purchased magazine subscriptions and then donated the magazines to a non-profit. Can I clam this when filing my itemized tax return?

Yes, if you can itemize your deductions for 2018 then you can deduct your magazines on Schedule A Gifts to Charity Line 12

However, for most taxpayers, their standard itemized deduction is higher than their itemized deductions and they do not itemize.

The 2018 standard deductions are:  $12,000 if you are single or use married filing separate status   $24,000 if you file e a married joint-file and  $18,000 if you file as head of household.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Yes, if you can itemize your deductions for 2018 then you can deduct your magazines on Schedule A Gifts to Charity Line 12

However, for most taxpayers, their standard itemized deduction is higher than their itemized deductions and they do not itemize.

The 2018 standard deductions are:  $12,000 if you are single or use married filing separate status   $24,000 if you file e a married joint-file and  $18,000 if you file as head of household.

Yes, TurboTax Leonard is right, but also please note that you can't claim more than the fair market value of the magazines (at the time of your donation(s)), so be careful about that (I would doubt, for example, that fair market value is the price printed on the cover of the magazine, if there is one) If you aren't clear on the rules around that, there's plenty of information about "fair market value" from TurboTax and around the internet.

The magazines are definitely deductible, but only at their current (read) value.  Most magazines are not worth much and ItsDeductible values them at about 50 cents.  Some more expensive magazines sell by the issue on eBay for much more than the standard deduction value.  Find the exact magazine in similar condition on eBay and you may use that as your deductible value.  Just make it an "Add it" item.  With the new tax rates, you may not have enough donations/deductions to make a difference, but it's worth a try.

Thx all for the TAX advice. I do itemize each year profitably. So, for our joint tax returns yr advice is very worthwhile.

Again, thx much, Carl

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies