Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kaverimk

I purchased a qualifying electric vehicle in 2023, and received my federal tax credit; however, I am not even given an option for my state tax credit in Maryland. Why?

I was able to get the federal tax credit for my qualifying Tesla when filling out my tax return in Turbo Tax. I should also receive a state credit from Maryland. However, TurboTax Deluxe does not even give me the option to file for an electric vehicle credit in Maryland. Does anyone know why not?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I purchased a qualifying electric vehicle in 2023, and received my federal tax credit; however, I am not even given an option for my state tax credit in Maryland. Why?

The MD EV rebate is not filed with your taxes.  It is filed when you purchase the car.  It is a first come first serve rebate and once the funds run out, then it is no longer able to be claimed for that year. 

"Electric Vehicle (EV) and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) Tax Credit

"Beginning July 1, 2023, qualified EV and FCEV purchasers may apply for an excise tax credit of up to $3,000. The tax credit is first-come, first-served, and is limited to one vehicle per individual and 10 vehicles per business entity. Qualified vehicles must meet the following criteria:

• Have a base purchase price not exceeding $50,000;
  • Be propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor that draws electricity from a battery with a capacity of at least 4 kilowatt-hours;
  • Have not been modified from original manufacturer specifications; and
  • Be purchased and titled for the first time between July 1, 2023, and June 30, 2027.

Additional restrictions apply. Learn more at the Motor Vehicle Administration’s website!"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies