rickieemeis

I paid medical bills with a credit card in 12/2016. I paid off the credit card charges in 2017. Can I deduct those payments on 2017 taxes-they were for the medical bills?

AnnetteB

When medical bills are paid with a credit card, they are considered paid in full in the year in which the charge was made.  The total amount charged can be deducted in the year the charge was made regardless of when the actual credit card bill is paid.

PaulaM

No, they are deductible in 2016 when you paid for them with the credit card. If you didn't deduct them in 2016, then you can amend your return to claim the deduction for that tax year.
AnnetteB