Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

9730bdswc

I noticed there is a child care deduction and I was wondering why stay at home moms can't account some of what they do to get this credit? If so, what could I claim?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I noticed there is a child care deduction and I was wondering why stay at home moms can't account some of what they do to get this credit? If so, what could I claim?

A. because Congress made it that way.  The credit offsets some of the cost so that both spouses can work, since there are so many two-earner families.  A stay at home parent doesn't have costs to offset.

B. because there is never a tax break from income you never got and tax you don't pay.  You don't get anything for the value of your own labor unless someone pays you for it and then you pay tax on that income.  If you work for free (for anyone, not just your own family) there aren't any tax benefits for that.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You have to have earned income from working to get that credit.  If you are married you both need your own income.  The child care is so you  can work or go to school.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900643-what-is-the-child-and-dependent-care-credit">https://ttlc....>

A. because Congress made it that way.  The credit offsets some of the cost so that both spouses can work, since there are so many two-earner families.  A stay at home parent doesn't have costs to offset.

B. because there is never a tax break from income you never got and tax you don't pay.  You don't get anything for the value of your own labor unless someone pays you for it and then you pay tax on that income.  If you work for free (for anyone, not just your own family) there aren't any tax benefits for that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies