Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I never got my "Trump" Check, IRS denied amended return, is there anything I can do?

Well, I never got the Trump check during Covid ($1200?) but I got all the other Biden deposits. I suppose they sent out a paper check, as I did not have a bank deposit during that tax cycle. I filled out an amended return the next time (or did something) and got a letter from the IRS saying I was not eligible (or something like that). I know it's water under the bridge, but I'm OCD and this is just nagging at the back of my brain that when a D was in the office, I got what was deserved, but when an R was in the White House, I got nada. I also have no clue how to access help in TurboTax even though every year I pay for it. Is there anything I can do but complain here? 🙂 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I never got my "Trump" Check, IRS denied amended return, is there anything I can do?

If you could be claimed as someone else's dependent for tax year 2020 you are not eligible for the 1st or 2nd stimulus check.   The only way to get the 1st and/or 2nd EIP payment is to file a 2020 tax return and use the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   If you filed a 2020 return and did not use the credit, then amend your 2020 return.

Or....check your online account with the IRS to see if the IRS shows that they sent you the payment.  If you did not receive it you can have it traced.

The first EIP --or stimulus check--- was issued in 2020  It was for $1200 for adults and $500 for a dependent under the age of 17.   The IRS used information from either your 2019 or 2020 tax return to issue those checks so they could send them out in a hurry.

The 2nd EIP or stimulus was issued in late 2020 or early 2021 and was $600 for adults and $600 for dependents under age 17.

If you did not receive the 1st and/or 2nd stimulus check you can get it by filing a 2020 tax return and using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   It will end up on line 30 of a 2020 tax return and will be added to your refund (or reduce your tax due).

The 3rd EIP--or stimulus check-- was sent out in mid-March or later in 2021 and was for $1400 per person--adults and dependents no age limit.

If you did not get the 3rd EIP payment you can get it by filing a 2021 tax return and using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   The credit will go on line 30 of your Form 1040 and will add to your refund (or reduce your tax due).

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

9 Replies

If you could be claimed as someone else's dependent for tax year 2020 you are not eligible for the 1st or 2nd stimulus check.   The only way to get the 1st and/or 2nd EIP payment is to file a 2020 tax return and use the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   If you filed a 2020 return and did not use the credit, then amend your 2020 return.

Or....check your online account with the IRS to see if the IRS shows that they sent you the payment.  If you did not receive it you can have it traced.

The first EIP --or stimulus check--- was issued in 2020  It was for $1200 for adults and $500 for a dependent under the age of 17.   The IRS used information from either your 2019 or 2020 tax return to issue those checks so they could send them out in a hurry.

The 2nd EIP or stimulus was issued in late 2020 or early 2021 and was $600 for adults and $600 for dependents under age 17.

If you did not receive the 1st and/or 2nd stimulus check you can get it by filing a 2020 tax return and using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   It will end up on line 30 of a 2020 tax return and will be added to your refund (or reduce your tax due).

The 3rd EIP--or stimulus check-- was sent out in mid-March or later in 2021 and was for $1400 per person--adults and dependents no age limit.

If you did not get the 3rd EIP payment you can get it by filing a 2021 tax return and using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   The credit will go on line 30 of your Form 1040 and will add to your refund (or reduce your tax due).

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Check your online account to see if a payment was issued to you.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

If the IRS thinks a payment was issued, but you never received it, you have to trace it. 

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-0

thx for your help. I did not get the 1st payment (but got all others). I'll try the 3911 route, but I'm old and feeble when it comes to taxes, and that's why I use this service here. Can't they do something, these tax experts @ turbo? 

This is a good answer but caveats: if u reside outside the US, most of these options only work by snail mail, for example ID.me only supports some country phone numbers (the big ones) and not mine. Oh well... I'll just mail the form and wait 4 months to get a reply (if I ever do). 

Assuming IRS agrees to issue another check,

If you are outside the US you need a way to cash or deposit a check in dollars from US TREASURY.

there was only one Biden check, that's number 3.

if you got others that means you got number 2 also.

i don't know how you can get no.2 but not no.1.

" I filled out an amended return the next time (or did something) and got a letter from the IRS saying I was not eligible (or something like that)."

Since you are not even sure what you did, it's hard to say what the next step should be.

If IRS said you are not eligible, you are not eligible. no ifs or buts.

They will say again you are not eligible if you retry

If you are not eligible, there is no check to trace.

@herojig 

Because for payment no. 2, I had set up direct deposit by then. I was out of the country for payment no. 1, and the check never went to my US address as far as I can tell. 

My guess is that they mailed a paper check signed by Trump to an old address they had on file. This is what I am trying to get now. I'll try the traceroute by sending in the form. thx

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies