turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tlv1413

I'm filing for my deceased mother. Her 2 months of medical expense were less than the standard deduction. Can she claim the total standard deduction?

She only lived two months in 2020.  Standard deduction is annualized.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I'm filing for my deceased mother. Her 2 months of medical expense were less than the standard deduction. Can she claim the total standard deduction?

The Standard Deduction is not annualized for your mother's tax return.  She gets the full deduction for her filing status and age.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Are you trying to file her final tax return of claim the expense on your tax return?

If yours, does she qualify to be your dependent?

The Standard deduction is for the year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

The Standard Deduction is not annualized for your mother's tax return.  She gets the full deduction for her filing status and age.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tlv1413

I'm amazed that IRS allows me to claim the standardized deduction, which is for a full twelve months, even though she lived only two months in 2020.  I'll take it.  She'll (or, I will) get all  of her taxes paid back by that calculation, I guess?

She also can get both stimulus payments if she qualifies for more or didn't get any.  So be sure to answer those questions and fill in the 2 boxe.  If she didn't get one or both enter a 0 in the box.  Any extra amount will be on 1040 line 30.

For deceased individuals see the first 2 questions under Eligibility. If they died in 2020 they still get it.
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs

You may wish to enter those expenses anyway, as they will then transfer to the State return, where they might be of benefit.  Federal will still give you the Standard deduction.

Returning Member

Yes I'm applying for my diseased mother 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

As @DavidD66 states above, "The Standard Deduction is not annualized for your mother's tax return.  She gets the full deduction for her filing status and age",

If you are filing a return for your deceased mother, also please see the above post from @VolvoGirl - "she also can get both stimulus payments if she qualifies for more or didn't get any.  So be sure to answer those questions and fill in the 2 boxe.  If she didn't get one or both enter a 0 in the box.  Any extra amount will be on 1040 line 30".

For deceased individuals see the first 2 questions under Eligibility. If they died in 2020 they still get it. 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs

Can I e-file a tax return for someone who is deceased?

Our sincere condolences for your loss.

@4174569

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies