Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have three children ages 17,14 and 12. I've always gotten $3000 in tax child credits. Now turbo tax is saying $2000. Has there been a change?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

I have three children ages 17,14 and 12. I've always gotten $3000 in tax child credits. Now turbo tax is saying $2000. Has there been a change?

For Tax Year 2017, the maximum credit per child is $1,000.  However, to qualify, each child must be under the age of 17 at the end of the tax year.  If one of your children was 17 in 2017, you'll only have two qualifying children for the credit, hence the $2,000 credit you're seeing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

For Tax Year 2017, the maximum credit per child is $1,000.  However, to qualify, each child must be under the age of 17 at the end of the tax year.  If one of your children was 17 in 2017, you'll only have two qualifying children for the credit, hence the $2,000 credit you're seeing.

So, you don't get any credit even if they were still 16 almost the whole year?
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

No, sorry, not for that child.  He or she had to be under 17 at the end of the year.  The IRS hits this age requirement really hard.

Look at it this way: when they were born (even if on Dec 31), you got the full $1000 for the whole first year, So, you got 17 years of the child tax credit, the same as everybody else.

Ty
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies