turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SRuiz28

I have an HSA account and received a 5498-SA document but my insurance card does not say HDHP on it for 2016 is that something I should worry about?

This is the first time I haven an HSA account.  I want to make sure I do not make any mistakes.  Can someone please advise?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I have an HSA account and received a 5498-SA document but my insurance card does not say HDHP on it for 2016 is that something I should worry about?

No, you likely have nothing to worry about.  If you received your Health Insurance through work or your Health Insurance company itself set up your HSA, they would not have done so if you didn't have a qualifying HDHP health insurance.  Many insurance companies may not specifically list the insurance as an HDHP on the insurance card, either.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt to double-check.  If it turns out you do not have an HDHP, you will want to contact your plan administrator immediately to have the amount withdrawn as an excessive contribution.  Otherwise it will be taxed at a 6% penalty.  In addition, any amount that your employer contributed would likewise become taxable income.  But, as I mentioned, if this was set up through your employer last year, it is highly unlikely that you do not have qualifying insurance for an HSA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No, you likely have nothing to worry about.  If you received your Health Insurance through work or your Health Insurance company itself set up your HSA, they would not have done so if you didn't have a qualifying HDHP health insurance.  Many insurance companies may not specifically list the insurance as an HDHP on the insurance card, either.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt to double-check.  If it turns out you do not have an HDHP, you will want to contact your plan administrator immediately to have the amount withdrawn as an excessive contribution.  Otherwise it will be taxed at a 6% penalty.  In addition, any amount that your employer contributed would likewise become taxable income.  But, as I mentioned, if this was set up through your employer last year, it is highly unlikely that you do not have qualifying insurance for an HSA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies