turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bud1967

I have a secondary location at work. is the mileage to there then home deductible

I have a secondary location at work that I am responsible for. I go there about 3-4 times per week. It is 2.5 miles away and on occasion I am there long enough to then drive home form that location. Are any of these miles deductible
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I have a secondary location at work. is the mileage to there then home deductible

Driving from home to work and from work to home (whichever site that is) is your commute and is non-deductible.  If you drive from site A to site B during the same workday, that mileage is deductible no matter how long you stay at site B.  You need to have good documentation, like a diary or log you keep with your car.  Guessing the number of trips may not satisfy the IRS if you are audited.  And, your work expenses are itemized deductions subject to the 2% rule so you may not get an actual benefit from claiming the miles.

What if I live with my parents and work in my home. then I drive to another work location. then from the work location back to my home which I work at?

@as744 - are you a W-2 employee, then no, that doesn't work. 

are you a 1099 self-employed?  Are you paying rent to your parents for use of your work space that is not used at all for personal living space? are you claiming the cost of renting the work space from your parents on your tax return? 

@as744 wrote:

What if I live with my parents and work in my home. then I drive to another work location. then from the work location back to my home which I work at?

This situation is described in publication 463, chapter 4.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-463

It depends on whether your home is your regular place of business, so that you could qualify for the home office deduction.  (You don't actually have to claim the home office deduction, but your home must be your regular place of business so that you could qualify.)

If your home is your regular place of business within the meaning of the chapter, then any trips to other work locations are deductible mileage.  However, if you work many places and have no regular place of business, then the only mileage that is deductible work mileage is if you work at more than one secondary location in the same day. 

@NCperson I dont think your answer is correct for 1099. Check the IRS document in the answer that came after yours

@as744 actually, I didn't provide an answer - it was all questions, 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies