I have a question when I buy work clothes can I ke...

kendo2003

I have a question when I buy work clothes can I keep the receipt to add into my tax

MinhT1

If you are an employee, work clothes are a job-related expense.

Up to tax year 2017, job-related expenses were deductible as an itemized deduction subject to the 2% of AGI floor.

Under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the itemized deductions for job-related expenses subject to the 2% of AGI floor are suspended for expenses incurred after December 31, 2017 through 2025.

Therefore, your work clothes are no longer deductible for tax year 2019.

Texas Roger

Work clothes are no longer a deductible expense on a federal tax return for employees who receive a W-2. Some states allow a deduction.

If you are an independent contractor who is self employed, certain types of clothing are a deductible expense. See this TurboTax article: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/jobs-and-career/how-to-use-work-clothes-as-a-tax-deduction/L59P...